The Leonard Hastings Schoff and Suzanne Levick Schoff Memorial Fund can be used for indexing, translating, technical editing, illustrating, or other publication costs of manuscripts or monographs produced under the auspices of The University Seminars in the fields of economics, sociology, psychology, penology, or the behavioral sciences which have already been approved for publication.
The Aaron Warner Fund supports the publication of materials that emerge from a University Seminar. These publications do not need to fall under a specific field. Our Executive Committee named this new book subsidy fund the Aaron Warner fund, in honor of the social scientist who was Director of The University Seminars for decades, and whose devotion to music on the one hand, and to the world of physics at Columbia, on the other, carried him far beyond the social sciences.
Before applying, the following two conditions must be met:
- The book or article must be accepted by a peer-reviewed academic publisher. The alternatives of self-publication and print-on-demand publication need to be justified to the Committee and may be recommended for consideration as an exceptional case by the Advisory Board.
- Some or all of the publication was influenced by participation in a seminar; a portion of the work was presented and discussed at a seminar, and that discussion affected the book.
The University Seminars Publication Committee considers the value of the book and its involvement with a seminar in comparison with other requests. Funding requests are subject to the following priorities:
- Books produced entirely as a seminar's project, e.g., a conference or symposium.
- Monographs by regular seminar participants, including chairs and co-chairs, of which some part was presented and discussed at a seminar meeting.
- Monographs including materials presented and discussed by a speaker at a seminar meeting.
- The Committee will consider works by a seminar's rapporteur where the work was clearly influenced by participation in the seminar.
The Committee aims to respond to all requests within a month of submission.